I sent this in response to a foward from the anthropology department at University of North Texas (the college I attend).
"Help students move toward a sense of empowerment to utilize the strengths of
their individual identities to overcome the stresses they may experience as
persons of color."
So is it then a safe assumption that "white" people are "persons of no color?"
Are you therefore saying that people who are immigrants from Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Poland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Germany, France, Italy, Romania, Russia and other Western/Eastern European and Scandinavian countries cannot attend simply because they are considered ethnically white or Caucasian and a "person of no color"?
Here's another question for you: Is a person who is half white and say half Cuban, for instance, a "person of half color"?
Is it possible for anthropologists, seemingly intelligent individuals, to come up with a new term other than "people of color" for humans that are immigrants to this country? I can only hope that you realize how absurd that term sounds, as it implies then that "white" people are a "people of no color"?
How is this term empowering? (I thought that was the whole idea). It does not sound evolved; in fact it sounds archaic and unevolved as the term "colored person."
Please use your brains creatively. Do not put human beings on a pie chart where half belong to the "color" side, and half don't. I can only hope that you can see how that does not empower people, change ideas, or advance a society. I am utterly ashamed that this term is being used by so many anthropologists.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment